Utility Menu


                                                                 ON THE INSIDE 12.8.16

 I saw the news report at 5:00 p.m. announcing that there had not been any news on Ron. The USSC had not made a decision on his appeal. A lot of speculation was going around about the strategic move that his lawyers had made, and we also had faith in the same system that a month ago had given a stay to Thomas Arthur on similar issues.

But, as my day was beginning to take a turn towards the evening I couldn’t completely get comfortable before the Thursday night football game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Oakland Raiders. Usually by this time I would be preparing a pre-game meal but not on this night. But around 5:15 news came that Ron had received a temporary stay. This was good news, not great but good and so I began to loosen up a little. I began to get something to eat because things were going just how they had gone with Tommy. Hope was floating around my tier as I heard someone yell out “Yes, get “em Ron.” I pointed up toward the ceiling telling God in a small whisper, “Thank You.”

A few minutes later I cut my TV on to relax and watch the pre-game as my fantasy QB Derek Carr was about to take the field. I got comfortable. Kick off was at 7:30 p.m. but at 7:15 we received the news that Ron’s stay had been lifted and that a new execution time was being discussed. My stomach tightened with food in my mouth, my spirit plunged and I had a taste of guilt because I had let up. This was a spiritual battle for me and I had let up. I immediately turned the game off and fell on my face in prayer. I was envisioning Ron in that cell alone, wondering what was happening because we had all been so sure that this would not happen.

While in prayer someone yelled out “He got another stay!” I was in tears, saying thank you, thank you….and I vowed to Ron in spirit to not leave again. I didn’t care about the game nor about my food getting cold. I wasn’t going to leave Ron!

I visualized my brother all alone in that cell not knowing what was happening as the State warmed up its murder weapon. The same 3 drug cocktail protocol that has been in question for some while now. In my meditation I imagined myself speaking directly to the four Justices who are in favor of ending the death penalty….I didn’t move….eat….or turn anything on until 9:00 p.m. to catch the local news. Fifteen minutes after 9:00 the news reported that AGAIN the stay had been lifted.

Now this time it was not a sick feeling but an angry /disappointed feeling, wondering what, why and how is this happening? Why did they lift it this time? I had understood earlier that it was in order to get a 5th vote to stay the case but something had to happen….I couldn’t figure it out. A new execution time had been set for 9:45 p.m.

So for 30 minutes our tier was in complete silence…still hoping that they would give Ron a complete stay. At 9:40 p.m. the guys began to prepare for their execution protest of banging and beating on the bars. It lasted for about 10 minutes. All I could do was think of Ron and how shocked he must have been be laying on that gurney after the USSC had remanded 4 Alabama cases earlier in the year pertaining to the unconstitutionality  of the Alabama death penalty statute….so again my brother was alone…

After 10:00 p.m. we all began to retire for the night and embraced what had just happened only to awaken to the news that nothing had happened at the time and that Ron had not been murdered until after 10:30 p.m. So like the Justices our protest was not in sync with the actual injustice that had taken place.

We found out that our brother had suffered for 13 minutes, heaving and coughing because of a broken protocol. He was given 2 consciousness tests by a man who seemed to have nothing divine in him, a man who had allegedly positioned himself in Ron’s view during a visit slowly waving “bye, bye” to him. This incident did not go unreported by Ron, but nevertheless this  man was given the responsibility of monitoring Ron during the execution and give him his consciousness test! By the way he no longer works here.

This was not a botched execution; this was not justice! Ron’s jury had voted 7-5 for Life…this was murder! When one man is given the power to override a Jury and uses that power he then is a murderer. We are all livid at the USSC’s lack of consistency pertaining to equal justice. But in hindsight this happened after the election when one could perhaps say that the 4 Justices in favor of the death penalty had won with Trump….

Evil won on December 8th 2016 at Holman. But don’t let up….and we won’t either.

                                         Anthony Tyson
                                         Vice chair of Project Hope to Abolish the Death Penalty